Tuesday 15 December 2009

Fetal Heart Monitor

So, I had to cancel my 12 week scan today because the NHS only allows for two scans, a dating scan and an anomaly scan, and my scan at 9 weeks meant I gave up my one for tomorrow.  I feel like it is really unfair, I already had the appointment set and we had the 9 week scan because we had an emergency.  Now I have no way to know if my baby is okay until my midwife decides to listen for a heartbeat.  There was a substitute midwife in the last time I went for an appointment and she told me that they start trying to listen for a heartbeat at 12 weeks, but I kind of don't believe her.  She was really disorganized, wrinkled up all my papers, couldn't get enough blood from me after two tries, and didn't even know where the bathroom was.  I felt really shaken by this appointment, and now I'm shaken again because I have no idea what's going on with the baby.  I have another appointment on Friday so they can attempt to draw blood again, but because I am only actually 11 weeks, I think there is a very low chance of the midwife looking for a heartbeat.  I was having my 12 week scan at 11 weeks because we are leaving for the US on Sunday for Christmas.  So, I will be in the US for over 20 days with no idea how the baby is doing.  This is making me kind of upset.  Especially since it is so resolvable by letting me getting a scan as scheduled tomorrow.  Part of me wants to make up a story about bleeding or cramps and get another emergency ultrasound, but that seems like really bad juju and I don't want to cry wolf.  At the same time, don't I have a right to know what's going on if it is so easy to see?  Anyways, this is one of the shortfalls of the NHS.  I wouldn't have had to cancel this appointment if I was in the US, so I am feeling sorry for myself and homesick.  To try to counter this, I ordered a fetal doppler from http://www.hi-baby.co.uk just now.  I looked at the different dopplers and it seemed like the Angel sounds and the Hi-Bebe dopplers got the best reviews.  The Angel sounds was tempting because you can buy it outright from Amazon, but the Hi-Bebe, which was much more expensive to buy, claims to be able to pick up the heartbeat as early as 10 weeks.  I am trying not to get too hopeful, I doubt I'll be able to pick up much for the next few weeks, but at least I'm doing something, so I feel a little better.  I will also like that I can bring it along on my trip and won't feel as alone/without medical attention while I am away.  I am now starting my 11th week and I'm hoping to hear something by week 13.  I'll keep you updated on my impressions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment