Tuesday 26 January 2010

Traveling While Pregnant

Okay, so here is what I have learned about traveling while pregnant:
I just got back from a three week trip to the US.  We went from the UK, to Los Angeles, stayed for 10 days, then went from Los Angeles to Little Rock, stayed for 10 days, then went back to Los Angeles, to finish our roundtrip back to England.  I started the trip at 11 weeks pregnant and ended it at 14 weeks pregnant.
I travel a lot, and this was probably the hardest trip of my life.  That said, I'm really glad I didn't shy away from it because it was not so bad that I shouldn't have done it.  It was just extremely tiring, and it was frustrating to be tired when I had so much I wanted to do and so many people I wanted to spend time with.
So, to start off with, I asked my midwife what I should do for traveling.  She had discouraged me from a trip to Chile when I was about 7 weeks pregnant because she thought that if a trip isn't necessary in the first trimester, and if you don't know anybody there, it is too risky.  She was mostly thinking about how awful it would be to have a miscarriage in a hospital I was unfamiliar with, or to get food poisoning and still have to travel home.  So, she wasn't saying it was a high risk undertaking, she was suggesting that maybe I sit the trip out for my own potential sanity.  I will think about that decision for years to come, but I will say that my husband was only gone for about two days when morning sickness hit with a vengeance and I am so glad I was home and not stuck in some hotel and reliant on restaurant food.  It would have been awful.
Anyways, the trip home was a different set of circumstances.  I would be going to a familiar place where I understood the health system.  We bought travel insurance and we would be around familiar faces at all times.  The midwife was still not super thrilled about the prospect, but she wasn't discouraging either.  She told me to get flight socks for the long flights, to get aisle seats, to walk around the cabin and drink lots of water, and to just take it easy and I should be fine.  Well, I WAS fine.  I do have some recommendations though.
First of all, we picked some terrible flying times.  In hindsight, we should have paid a little more money on this trip in order to get better flight times.  Our flight out of England was so early that we did not sleep that night, which was very hard on prego-sauras.  I just underestimated how that would feel because I'm a pretty hearty traveler when not pregnant.  We had to catch a taxi at 3:30 am, and went from there until we arrived in Los Angeles about 20 hours later.  I nearly had a meltdown at our 11:30 am layover in London, and my husband was amazing at keeping me strong and focused.  This was definitely a team trip and I am so glad I was not alone (an issue this fiercely independent girl is still dealing with). 
Once on the plane, I just couldn't get comfortable in the seats because my ass hurt (never an issue before), my back hurt (new issue as well), and I had to pee a lot (part pregnancy, part drinking tons of water).  There was no danger of not exercising on the plane because I was up so much out of discomfort and the need to pee.  I always feel bad for tall people on long flights, and for people with bad backs.  I don't think I suffered anywhere near what they suffer, my suffering was almost exclusively a suffering of the ego- pregnancy limitations have really frustrated me.
Anyways, we got to Los Angeles in one piece and then encountered something else that surprised me, pregnancy jetlag.  I had not read anything on it so it hit like a ton of bricks.  I always have trouble with jetlag, so I expect it to a certain degree, but this was much harder.  I just couldn't function.  Plus, we were still keeping the pregnancy a secret, so I just seemed like a whiner.  Actually, even if the pregnancy was known to all, I still would have felt like a whiner.  It is always easier to adjust when traveling to California/West, so this proved to be my EASIEST bout of jetlag on the whole trip, which truly interupted parts of this trip.  Also, I'm not sure if this happens to other daughters, but as soon as I got to Los Angeles I was greeted with a list of things to do.  My father is slightly helpless on some things and I was off to the mall to do his shopping a few days after we arrived.  Again, this was harder than when I'm not pregnant.  The mall in Los Angeles at Christmas time is scary, but it can also be kind of fun because the freaks are totally out, and in their element.  My husband and I enjoyed the freak show, but I really had to take a lot of rests, I've never sat down to rest at the mall before and I felt really embarressed about it.  Again, this is suffering of the ego, not the body.  Also, my sister has just recently had a baby, and as soon as she got to town she had assignments for me as well.  These were all fun assignments I was happy to do, but I was limited in time, I could only stay active until about 8:00 when I turned into a pumpkin.  I just couldn't do more.  The funniest/most awesome night was when my husband "took one for the team" and went out to dinner with my dad on a night when I just couldn't get back up, and certainly didn't want to enter another eating establishment.  I think they had a nice dinner, I surely didn't get any of the present wrapping done.
But, when all is said and done, my trip home to LA was amazing.  We got to tell my family about the pregnancy in person, I got to meet my new nephew, and we had the greatest holiday in years.  It was magical and the yucks did not override the yums.
Moving on to Little Rock.  Unfortunately, I think Little Rock really got the short end of the stick because Los Angeles had exhausted me.  We arrived and the three hour time difference immediately messed with me, and I never really caught up.  This is a problem anyways, I'm terrible about waking up at a decent time, getting sleep, etc, but this was the worst I've been.  Oh, and something I forgot to mention before was that my husband and I were both very dry and snoring a lot after our flights, and it is hard when you are staying in somebody else's house to figure out a way to sleep seperately if one person is keeping the other person up with snoring.  This got worse in Little Rock because my mother-in-law smokes and my pregnancy insomnia kicked into high gear and I woke up with every snore, every cigarette, everything.  Also, when staying in Little Rock we switch houses a lot- sometimes we sleep at mother in law's house, other nights we sleep at father in law's house.  This was fine while pregnant because I always had a place to go grab a quick nap, no matter which house we were at, but I think it will be very challenging with a baby and will be something we are going to have to figure out a solution to.  Anyways, the reason I think Little Rock got the short end of the stick was because I needed even more naps and downtime, and we had far less to do.  So, during a nice family event, I would sometimes have to excuse myself for a nap.  I wasn't able to do any late nights, and I even slept one night from about 5pm until morning.  Actually, though, this was a great thing because my husband had a chance to go out and get drunk with friends and stay out really late and didn't have to worry about me at all.  And with his hangover the next day we were both pregnant, which I loved because then I felt less like a weakling.
The trip back to England was the most grueling.  To save money we had purchased a round trip ticket out of Los Angeles, so we had a major flight back to Los Angeles, and then a 8 hour wait until the next flight.  We should have given ourselves a day.  Again, I underestimated how hard flying was going to be.  We were exhausted when we arrived, although thrilled to have another evening with my dad.  This was the night I slept in the flight socks and by the end of the trip to England they were so tight I had to take them off.  I experienced feet swelling on this flight and my legs swelled up as well.  We had planned to stay up all night and catch a ride to the airport the next morning with my friend.  Again, this would have been fine pre-pregnancy, but I had finally realized that this was not going to be possible, so I canceled with my friend (heartbreaking) and caught a few hours of sleep.  I think this was the difference between throwing up or fainting on the plane and not.  By the end of the trip to England my back and head hurt so bad that I was just pacing in the back of the plane.  I was very uncomfortable and swollen and constipated and, again, had a very bruised ego.  I still don't think I had it as bad as many fliers do, so I'm not regretting the trip, but I'm just trying to be honest about the experience.
The aftermath was over a week of recuperation.  I can't believe how hard we both have found it to get back in the swing of things.  I forget that people make a big deal about major trips, and I just didn't take it seriously enough because I was just going home, it didn't feel like a big trip.  It was such an amazing trip home, and I am so happy we were able to do it.  We were so lucky that the holidays fell at just the time I switched from first trimester to second trimester, and it was such a perfect way to surprise our families.  I have just learned a lot about traveling while pregnant from this trip, and I am writing it down so I can remember in the future, which will hopefully be a March trip to China to see the friend I had to cancel on the night we were in LA. :)

Things I learned:
*I overestimated my abilities.  I promised to see all my friends and I brought several "going out" outfits and makeup.  This was a waste of space, and the false promises caused some hurt feelings.  I just couldn't do it.  I am amazed in hindsight how little we got done.  Even the night I spent at my best friend's was kind of boring for both her and my husband because all I wanted to do was lie around.  If I had it to over again I would set much more limited goals and limit my promises to more realistic levels.  I'll be home again someday, this turned out to be a trip to see mostly family.
*Buy flight socks ahead of time.  I bought them at the London airport and they were expensive (I can't remember how much) and they were very tight.  I wish I had had two pairs because the super long day of travel had a sleeping layover and it would have been nice to change socks.  I am so cheap (I only spend money on travel), but I am learning that there might be some moments where you aren't being frugal and anti-consumerist, you are being sadistic, and bad socks might be the limit.  It sounds stupid, but also, they got very tight by the end of the flight to England and I finally had to take them off because they were cutting off my circulation.  I found this stressful and wish I had done more research on how they should feel and what size they should be.
*Expect jetlag and expect a reasonable amount of understanding from people, but not total understanding.  Sometimes you are just going to piss people off, my baby needed me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment