Tuesday 9 February 2010

Being sick while pregnant sucks!

So, I never totally understood why pregnant women complained so much when they were sick.  It's not like the sickness was worse, right? And really, it's not like taking cold medication makes that much of a difference, so how much could they possibly be missing it now that it's off limits?  Well, now I understand.  Being sick while pregnant sucks!  I have a regular old cold.  Because I don't work outside of the house, I would still probably be laying around feeling sorry for myself even if I wasn't pregnant, but I feel so much sorrier for myself now.  It's making me a little depressed, and it hurts my pelvis area when I cough, which of course makes me worry about the baby.  But that is not really why being sick is worse when you are pregnant, it is all the extra needs you/baby has, then added on to a cold.  For example, my bones hurt anyways.  I don't feel good if I veg out on the couch for too long because my back gets stiff and my head starts to hurt.  So I am resigned to my bed, which still hurts, but less.  Also, usually when I have a cold I'm not very hungry.  I look for some matzo ball soup at dinner time, and I'm happy drinking water.  Now my baby is hungry and I am hungry.  I am so sick of being hungry.  I don't like eating that much, I'm not a very hungry person.  In fact it is the reason I have weight issues in the first place, I am a poor eater.  But now I am hungry and have to pull myself out of bed every few hours, walk down two flights of stairs, and eat something tasteless and borderline nauseating, in the hopes it will fill me up enough to last a few hours.  Even water tastes gross, and it all gives me a stomach ache, and I have absolutely no choice, I HAVE to do it, I am not in charge of my body.  Also, I have to pee a lot.  So I need to drink water to try to stay hydrated, and then I have to pee a ton.  The toilet is down some stairs too (we live in a classic British back to back) and by the time I get back upstairs I am so out of breath I'm panting.  I'm already short on breath now that I'm pregnant, and short on breath cuz my lungs are full of gunk, and add the stairs and I'm wide awake by the time I get back to bed and have to start winding down all over again.  Finally, being sick is scaring me.  I have a tendency to get really sick in the winter, and have had pneumonia a number of times, and used to get bronchitis every year.  I've been good this winter, taken my nose spray, sanitized my hands, but our trip to Switzerland really took me out I think (more on that in another post).  So now I'm worried about getting sicker, and not totally sure how to prevent it except to lie in this damn bed and feel sorry for myself.  Boo freakin hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment