Wednesday 10 February 2010

Doula

Well, tonight the doula we have been considering hiring came over for an interview.  I just loved her, and she made a much better impression than the first time we met her.  She brought books and DVDs and is so excited about all things childbirth, which I really liked.  My first impression of her was that she was a little too pro- homebirth, and possibly one of those women who might be interested in using my uterus as a soapbox.  I am not anti-homebirth, but I really want somebody who listens to me and is amendable to my needs, so this sent up some red flags for me.  But she has totally redeemed herself.  She is pretty normal, but has just enough hippy in her for me to totally get down with.  I like that she has traveled the world and that she has a global perspective on childbirth and child rearing.  I like that she gave me an article on how funny it would be if we made a medical intervention out of a man having to poop really bad.  I like that she thought some things were gross, but also that she was open to lots of stuff.  She seemed to have good boundaries and I actually think we had a lot in common, so maybe she is a future friend as well.  I'm just really happy about our decision to hire her, and I feel like every time I talk to her she just fills me with more useful knowledge.  I really believe that knowledge is power in this whole pregnancy thing and it's nice to have a few women around to ask questions of, and it is especially nice to have a woman like her around.  I really needed a sane hippy in my life and I think I may have found one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment